The Global Insurance Symposium presents
In partnership with Gamma Iota Sigma and sponsored by Deloitte, the 2024 Global Insurance Symposium (GIS) is pleased to present the annual Student Case Study Competition. This year’s Symposium and competition theme is Navigating a New Frontier of Risk. The Student Case Study Competition will engage future insurance industry professionals by showcasing their talents while networking with top industry leaders. The Global Insurance Symposium will celebrate its 10th anniversary in Des Moines, Iowa, on April 16-17, 2024.
The question student teams will need to answer this year is: What is a significant emerging risk in the insurance industry, and what recommendations would you give insurance companies on navigating this new frontier of risk?
How it Works
- Teams of 2-4 university students who are members of the professional fraternity Gamma Iota Sigma will put together a case study to answer the question: “What is a significant emerging risk in the insurance industry, and what recommendations would you give insurance companies on navigating this new frontier of risk?”
- To enter, teams will record a video of their case study and submit them here by 11:59 p.m. on March 10, 2024.
- Three teams will be chosen as finalists on March 25, 2024. The teams will be invited to present their case study in person at the 10th annual GIS.
- Finalist teams will attend the Symposium in Des Moines, Iowa, on April 16-17 to present their case to the live audience.
Accommodations include travel and hotel arrangements for the three finalist teams.
Symposium attendees will vote to select the best case presented, with $1,500 awarded to the team with the most votes, $1,000 awarded to the first runner-up, and $750 awarded to the second runner-up.
If you have questions about the competition, please read our FAQ sheet below or contact Marissa Smith at msmith@LS2group.com.
FAQ FOR GIS + CASE COMPETITION
• University students who are a part of a Gamma Iota Sigma (GIS) chapter.
• Each university GIS chapter competing should have a team of 2-4 students.
• A chapter is allowed to submit videos from more than one team.
• A student cannot be a part of more than one team competing.
◦ Any student competing on more than one team will be disqualified, and so will the entire team.
• Yes! The only requirement is you must be a member of your university’s Gamma Iota Sigma chapter.
• There will be two “judging events”:
◦ First is the selection of three finalist teams based on the video submissions:
• The videos will be judged by a committee comprised of leaders from Gamma Iota Sigma and the Global Insurance Symposium.
• Judging criteria will include overall vision for the case study as well as the use of industry trends analysis and data to address the question, “What is a significant emerging risk in the insurance industry, and what recommendations would you give insurance companies on how to navigate this new frontier of risk?”
◦ Creativity and originality are encouraged.
- The second round of judging will take place at the 2024 Global Insurance Symposium. Audience members will “vote” for their favorite presentation. The team with the most votes will win first place, the team with the second most votes will takesecond place, and the team with the fewest votes will take third place.
• Unlike many case competitions where there is a specific problem and data set to prepare a solution from, this is an open-ended challenge to think about the future of the insurance industry or a subset of such.
• Teams may take a global view, explore one line of business (Property & Casualty, Life, Health, or even more specific to auto, workers compensation, cyber, or new risks) or look at how insurance will be purchased/leveraged in the future, etc.
• Video submissions should not exceed seven minutes.
• The deadline to submit a video is March 10, 2024 by 11:59 p.m.
• We recommend recording over Zoom but welcome more creative approaches as well.
• Teams should include an introduction with the name of their university/location of their Gamma Iota Sigma chapter, the team member names, their majors, and year of graduation.
• Use of presentation slides, visuals or other content is optional but encouraged.
• The final presentation for the finalists at the Symposium should include a presentation/content.
• Each of the three finalist teams will have 10 minutes to present their case study on emerging risks on the main stage of the Symposium on Wednesday, April 17 during lunch.
• Registration for up to four team members to attend the Global Insurance Symposium in Des Moines, Iowa on April 16 and 17.
• The opportunity to present your case study to 400+ insurance leaders at the Symposium.
• Special networking opportunities with insurance leaders, CEOs, and regulators.
• The following prizes will be handed out:
◦ First place – $1,500
◦ Second place – $1,000
◦ Third place – $750
• Checks will be made out to the winning students.
• Flights will be booked for up to four team members OR mileage will be reimbursed.
• Hotel rooms will be booked for up to four team members.
• All travel will be coordinated by LS2group.
• Yes! The Symposium offers a special registration rate to student members of Gamma Iota Sigma of only $40 to attend (a $695 value). Visit https://www.globalinsurancesymposium.com for more information.